Thursday, July 2, 2015

Kampala Fun!

Now, it hasn’t been all work since arriving in Kampala. I have been able to explore, shop, rest, but maybe most importantly, experience two very important aspects of Ugandan culture: futbol and weddings!

How convenient is it that during my short stay here, the Uganda Cranes had a match against Botswana in the Mandela National Stadium? I’d say we were pretty lucky! Tory and Ronak came into Kampala for the weekend so we decided to get into the Cranes spirit as much as possible, face paint and jerseys to boot. The stadium was HUGE. Pretty sure it’s bigger than the Big House. I’d even argue the hype parallels that of us Wolverine fans. There was a pep band and a group leading cheers and motions. The Uganda spirit only continued as we scored two awesome goals in the 2nd half to win 2-0! The win made for hectic traffic, but I wouldn’t change it for the world, it was such a great day!
 
In the true fashion of Ugandan hospitality I was actually invited to attend a surprise bridal shower for one of the gals who works for GHU (whom I’ve never met). It was so fun to join in the fun to celebrate her and her upcoming marriage! Following that, I was also invited to attend the wedding that weekend! Didn’t give me much time to make sure I had an outfit appropriate for the event, but the ladies I work with were more than happy to take me into town, haha. So, we found a maize and blue African-style dress and spent all Saturday celebrating marriages! Yes, marriages is plural. We ended up seeing three couples leave the church as husband and wife! As weddings are very popular, churches will actually book them back to back. Same flowers, decorations, and even same sermon at some locations, haha. The ceremony lasts about an hour. It was actually quite fun to listen to a service that only had bits and pieces in English. The reception starts a few hours later. We were there from 4-930 and didn’t even stay the whole time!
Barbara and Ethel
Michael and Richard wanted in too!
Ethel met us at the reception.
Monica!
Ugandans love a party and they love welcoming anyone to join them. It has been too cool to hop right in and experience their lives and culture right alongside them.

1 comment:

  1. The capacity is 45,202. Per wiki. I trust you know the capacity of the big house. Love, Paul

    ReplyDelete